Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Proud to be a woman today

Smart, dynamic women; fantastic speeches.

Some of my favorite quotes from Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton:

I loved what Michelle said about "the belief that the world as it is just won't do-- that we have an obligation to fight for the world as it should be."

And that "America should be a place where you can make it if you try."

Michelle Obama delivered a positive, uplifting message which was just what I needed after a hard day. I would've actually settled for a foot massage, but, hey, a political speech is the next best thing, right?

During Hillary's speech, I was reminded why I like her so much. That woman is so smart and a such powerful presence on stage. Definitely a bit stiffer than Michelle, but formidable (and I do mean that in a bad-ass, derby love way). Can't really see Michelle playing roller derby, but I bet Hillary could knock some bitches down.

The "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsuits" line cracked me up, but my husband didn't get the joke.

When Hillary said, "My mother was born before women had the right to vote; My daughter was able to vote for her mother--for President," I almost burst into tears. While I'm still blaming the patriarchy for the fact that the US is STILL not ready for a female president, I have to admit that we've made some amazing progress.

And now, thanks to Hillary daring to go where no woman has gone before, there are "18 million cracks in the glass ceiling."

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Those were all my favorite bits too!