Wednesday, September 27, 2017

FrightFall Readathon - October 1-31

via GIPHY
If a month of scary stories sounds like a great time, join me for the FrightFall Readathon. I pulled a huge stack of frightening reads off my bookshelves and then found a few more at the library. I know I won't get to all of them, but I like to have lots of choices to honor my moods as my cravings shift.

WEEK 1 TOTALS (OCTOBER 1-7):
Books started: 8
Books finished: 6
Pages read: 1802

     
      The Robe of Skulls     The Haunting of Hill House
Vivian French                    Shirley Jackson
☆☆☆                               ☆☆☆☆



                  
          Gothic! Ten Original Dark Tales      The Woman in Cabin 10
                   Deborah Noyes (Ed.)                         Ruth Ware  
                           ☆☆☆☆                                     ☆☆☆  

                 
                      Full Tilt                          Heart-Shaped Box
                Neal Shusterman                          Joe Hill
                        ☆☆☆                                  ☆☆☆

WEEK 2 TOTALS (October 8-14):
Books started: 3
Total started: 11
Books finished: 4
Total finished: 10
Pages read: 1667
Total pages: 3469


             
                Picture the Dead                     The Fireman
                   Adele Griffin                            Joe Hill
                       ☆☆☆                                 ☆☆☆ 

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
Roxane Gay
☆☆☆☆

WEEK 3 TOTALS (OCTOBER 15-21):
Books started: 10
Total started: 21
Books finished: 11
Total finished: 21
Pages read: 3026*
Total pages: 6495
Thanks to Dewy's 24 Hour Readathon!


           
   What Happened          The Case of the Missing Marquess
Hillary Rodham Clinton               Nancy Springer
         ☆☆☆☆                              ☆☆☆☆

  
        Vanishing Girls              Today Will Be Different
         Lauren Oliver                       Maria Semple
            ☆☆☆                                  ☆☆☆

                  
 And Every Morning the Way                          Beartown
Home Gets Longer and Longer
Fredrik Backman                                     Fredrik Backman
    ☆☆☆☆☆                                               ☆☆☆

  
The Adventures of Superhero Girl    You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
Faith Erin Hicks                                            Sherman Alexie
☆☆☆☆☆                                                         ☆☆☆

   
  The Case of the Left-Handed Lady            Pemba's Song
                  Nancy Springer          Marilyn Nelson & Tonya Hegamin
                    ☆☆☆                               ☆☆

Granny
Anthony Horowitz
☆☆✩

WEEK 4 TOTALS (OCTOBER 22-28):
Books started: 6
Total started: 27
Books finished: 6
Total finished: 27
Pages read: 2051
Total pages: 8546


            
    When Breath Becomes Air       I Heart You, You Haunt Me
Paul Kalanithi                      Lisa Schroeder
☆☆✩                      

          
                     A Good Idea                            Wild
                  Cristina Morocco               Cheryl Strayed
                         ☆                           

     
                  The Word is Murder       Magpie Murders
                    Anthony Horowitz       Anthony Horowitz
                       ☆☆                  

A fun month of reading a bit outside my comfort zone. While it didn't go as planned, I enjoyed the readathon. My scary pick generally didn't turn out to be be scary, and the nonfiction and more realistic fiction choices I made turned out to have more scary moments. The formatting for this post gave me nothing but trouble, so it looks wonky and I've decided it's good enough. And done. Until next time!








       

5 comments:

Tânia said...

I didn't know about this Read-a-thon, but I love everything horror related, so I think I'll join it. Thanks for sharing it.

Happy readings!
Tânia @MyLovelySecret

Halloween Book Bingo

Debbie said...

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the readathon!

Andi said...

I have read but not a horror/scary selection yet...these take a bit longer to find among my unread books as not typically my genre. Enjoy the readathon! :-)

Debbie said...

I am interpreting scary rather broadly as I make my selections. I loved horror when I was younger, but these days, I'm generally looking for more escapist reads. Real life is scary enough!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

You got a lot of great reading in for the readathon. Great job! Thanks for joining us. Hope to see you next time. :)